Dear School Families:
On behalf of the MERCY Board, I would like to sincerely welcome all of you back as well as extend a warm reception to the new families joining the St. Apollinaris School community. We are sure to have an exciting year ahead.
As many of you know, MERCY is similar to the PTA of our parents’ generation. MERCY is an acronym for Making Education Reach Catholic Youth. The primary purpose of the organization is:
1) Promote a broad appreciation of the ideals of Catholic education; Enlist the spiritual, educational and social resources of home and school to provide a Catholic education of the highest quality.
2) Provide a forum of exchange for parents and teachers, and an informal advisory function to the school administration.
3) Provide a solid organization to improve the school’s fundraising efforts.
4) Foster the integration of families into the life of the parish community and promote fellowship between parish and school organizations.
5) Establish and maintain a tuition assistance scholarship fund. MERCY serves as a great way to get to know other parents in the school.
Participation in our fundraising events is another excellent way to connect. As we look forward to this school year, the MERCY Board has confirmed four fundraising events. We ask that you mark your calendars now for these exciting ways to support our school.
On the first day of school, we host a Parent Participation Fair. The Fair is your way to review our fundraising efforts, sign up for your “A” and “B” hours and exchange volunteer/fundraising ideas. This Fair is held in the Parish Hall following the prayer service. As many of you may want to think about how best to use your talents at the school, your MERCY Board will be posting a Parent Participation Form on the website shortly. If you cannot attend the Fair, the form can be turned into the school office. Once you sign-up, you will be contacted by the Chairperson or Coordinator of that event. If you have any topics you wish to discuss, please feel free to contact any parent Board member.
The MERCY Board is enthusiastically looking forward to our year together.
Erica Wahle, MERCY President
Dorothea Collins, MERCY Vice-President
Andrea Perata, Secretary/Treasurer
David Schuemann, Fundraising Coordinator
Carolyn Andrews, Teacher Representative
Connie Howard, Principal
Rev. William P. Donahue, Pastor