The Academic Junior High Decathlon is a ten event competition for students in 7th and 8th grade. Two of the events are collaborative team efforts – a logic quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems and a super quiz with 50 multiple choice questions on five broad academic themes. The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of the Roman Catholic doctrine, English, Literature, Science, Mathematics, Current Events, Social Studies, and Fine Arts (Art and Music). Awards are given for individual and team performances. The winning school team from each geographic diocese competes in a state championship the first Saturday in May.
St. A’s Successes in AJHD
2008: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese
2007: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese
2006: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese
2005: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese, 1st place overall in State
2004: 2nd place overall finish in Santa Rosa Diocese; 1st place Super Quiz, and placed in 6 of 8 Individual Subjects.
2003: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese: 1st place Logic, 1st place Super Quiz, and placed in 7 of 8 Individual Subjects. 1st place in Super Quiz at the State Decathlon.
2002: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese
2001: 1st place overall in Santa Rosa Diocese, 1st place overall in State
The team is chosen annually by the principal, Mr. Kersting, based on the following criteria:
1. Results of a Logic Test given each year
2. Standardized Test results for the current and prior 4 years
3. Report Cards (including effort) for the current and prior 4 years
4. Teacher recommendations
Academic Decathlon Team Commitment
* Team study sessions are held from approximately October through March, with study continuing through April if the team advances to the State meet.
* Individual study time is required at home on a regular basis for assigned individual subject areas as well as Super Quiz and Logic responsibilities.
* Students must have the desire to be team players, to work collaboratively with all members of the team, and to perform to the best of their ability.